Monday, October 4, 2010

More on Service-Learning

Hey everyone!

So I spent quite a bit of time thinking and wrestling with how best to incorporate service-learning here at my site. As I mentioned in our seminar, I plan to combine the ABE reading class I'll be teaching with this service-learning project. (Side note, I'm so excited to be getting to teach a small group class, the particular group I'll be working with are five women, four of which are mothers--and they all are higher level readers, close to a 6th or 7th grade reading level, which means they are tantalizingly close to qualifying for the GED.) Anyhow, we're going to reading and working with a lot of cool material that centers around women and race, now and in the 1960s.

I am a bit stuck, when it comes to what we can do as a meaningful service project that would integrate the content used, the literacy that the students are in the process of gaining, and benefit our community...I wonder if any of you all have any ideas. I had been thinking about the class creating materials for future classes (or to be supplemental material for our tutors), but I'm not sure. I'd more than welcome any ideas from you all! Also, I would love to hear more about what you all are planning on doing.

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment